Keepers have it tough

9.11.2010

Supp, people. Its another boring day in our(or at least my) boring lives. Yep, just another blistering hot Saturday afternoon of slacking at home with not much to do. I'm bored to the core and I'm itching to play soccer with my hommies. Man, this sucks. And that is the ugly truth.

 Yeah.

So anyway, just killing my time by watching goalkeeping videos. Not world class or anything, just any goalie videos that I can get my hands on. And that has made me itch to play soccer even more.

Great. Real great.

So I'm just gonna write this to clarify anyone who has doubts on what is a goalkeeper's job, Seeing as I dun really have much to do.

A goalkeeper, as the name implies, helps to keep out opponent shots by defending the goalposts. Apparently. But the keeper's job isn't as easy as it seems. The goalkeeper bears the burden of keeping out shots, which basically means that he is the last line of defense when the defenders fail at their jobs. Not only this, when a goalie blunders(screws something up), it is immediately taken notice of, and he faces a lot of criticism from both teammates as well as fans.

But seeing as I'm not a professional , I don't have it as bad.

Goalkeepers are usually seen as individuals in the team sport of soccer, and are not included with the other players. This is not true, seeing as goalies play a crucial role in games. After a goalie receives a ball from either a save or a pass, he is given the choices to:

1.Play a high ball (clearing the ball)
2.Pass it to a defender
3.Play it to any particular outfield player

So basically, the goalkeeper is given a variety of options and is free to choose anyone of them as he sees fit,  provided he doesn't exceed the time limits. This choice can virtually change the flow of the game, and could potentially help the team to win.

Good goalkeeping doesn't mean making spectacular dives or making magnificent saves(a few of these won't hurt),but is all about the proper positioning. With good positioning, goalies do not need to dive incessantly, which hurts by the way. Trust me.

With enough training, I hope to become like this:
Or like this:
But hopefully not like this:


Yeah, I think that's about all. Maybe I'll go take a nap now. Or go kajiao Faris.

And please leave your creative and constructive comments on the tag board beside this post.

I'm Iker Casillas, and I approve this message.

Signing off
Aloy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews